Earlier this week, I posted the top ten recipes on my site as viewed by my readers in 2014. Three of the four copycat recipes for Levain Bakery’s sensationally decadent cookies made their second appearance in the Top Ten most viewed recipes. They were Levain Bakery’s Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies, Levain Bakery’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies, and Levain Bakery’s Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. These cookies are the gold standard for their flavor categories with a texture that is knee-buckling swoon-worthy. The fourth Levain Bakery copycat recipe didn’t make a repeat appearance on the Top Ten list—but it, too, is the gold standard for a dark chocolate brownie-like cookie.
My own list of top ten favorites for 2014 was limited to just those recipes I posted in 2014. If I didn’t have that as a criteria, I would certainly list a couple of the Levain Bakery cookies as well—in particular, the chocolate chip cookie and the oatmeal raisin cookie. They blow away all the competitors in their category.
Once again, since I post only those recipes that I believe are truly “frantastic,” it was difficult to limit myself to just 10 recipes from last year. So, with more than a little bit of hand-wringing, I give you my top ten favorites from 2014. It turns out that 9 out of the 10 fall into the dessert category. Yes, I do have a sweet tooth!
My Top Favorites of 2014
1. This absolutely fabulous Almost Flourless Chocolate Cake made my daughter’s über health conscious boyfriend consume not one, but two pieces. Noteworthy!
2. Chicken Curry in a Hurry was so delicious that it immediately went into the normal dinner rotation.
3. Cranberry-Orange Nut Loaf has been a family favorite for many years. It disappeared almost immediately when I made it over Christmas. Should have made two loaves—and next year I will.
4. I made Grapefruit Sorbet all summer—so delicious and refreshing.
5. Poppycock is a caramel popcorn with candied nuts and is totally addicting. Once you start eating it, you won’t stop until it’s all gone.
6. Pumpkin Cake Roll is another very old family favorite. It looks like it came from a bakery—and tastes even better.
7. I made Pumpkin Cheesecake with White Chocolate Mousse Topping three times over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Enough said!
8. Spumoni Icebox Cookies have been a family favorite since I first made them over 10 years ago. The almond flavor and sugar cookie texture are sublime.
9. Swedish Visiting Cake is so quick to make and so delicious to eat. Wish I had a piece right now.
10. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like Texas sheet cakes with their moist delectable crumb and icing. I was very happy to add a lemon one to my collection.
As I mentioned, it was extremely difficult to limit myself to a mere 10 favorite recipes, so I am taking the liberty of nominating two more for a special mention.
Roast Chicken Braised in Milk – Melt-in-your mouth, fall-off-the-bone tender. So delicious!
Pork Tenderloin Medallions – So tender and flavorful!